Saturday, September 02, 2006

I submitted this as a show idea to Oprah.

I think that the producers hearing about this from people who have also RISKED IT ALL to make a difference in the world would help get this message out. I'll be happy to post your stories and then we can all be on Oprah together...LOL.

Thank you in advance for your support!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During my 4-1/2 year journey, I have declared bankruptcy, lost my house to foreclosure and, yikes, gained 45 pounds. As those external measures of 'success' have fallen away, I continue to reap amazing rewards from the seeds of passion & compassion that have been sown [& well fertilized!] over these years. So, how does a single woman lacking extraordinary financial resources nurture & develop a vision that is on target to shift the consciousness of the planet in 4 generations? By RISKING IT ALL.

Here's my story:

On April 17, 2002, in a meeting at the Texas Commission on the Arts, I was asked what was missing in the Austin cultural arts landscape. I promptly answered, "an architectural artisan school." And from that simple exchange a 4-1/2 year mission was born.

Since then, I have pursued, researched, & otherwise wrangled a whole world of information into a model that has become the basis for my contribution to the social entrepreneurship arena: cultural strategy. As I define it, cultural strategy is the creation of economic development opportunities that balance community, culture & commerce. The key is to develop projects articulating how all those elements work together as the basis for sustainable growth based on shared cultural values. Example projects:

**Working to refine an economic development project in which iCREATE hopes to add to the Manor Education Foundation's vision for the STELLAR campus in Manor Texas. The overarching message of the project is "Science from the Playground to the Planetarium", promoting a creative campus model that reconnects art & science at long last!

**Invited to Kristiansan Norway in 2006 to participate in a discussion of potential cultural incubators in alignment with the iCREATE model; also developing the sister city relationship between Austin & Kristiansand beginning with an filmmaker & musician exchange program.

**Developing an urban teahouse concept which will be a one-stop shop for inner & outer health, with 10% of all proceeds committed to supporting the iCREATE model & programs.

There is quite a range, but they all capture the winning combination of community, culture & commerce, the 3 elements needed to create sustainable opportunity for all global citizens. The ultimate goal is to have this program become part of the UN's War on Poverty. I have no doubt that it will happen.

No comments: